Sunday, November 11, 2012

My "RE-FASHION" contest entry

I just finished my "ReFashion/Repurpose" entry for the Pattern Review contest that ends on Nov. 15.  The rules are to use anything that has already been worn and make something entirely new out of it.

I went to the Thrift store and purchased (VERY cheaply) 3 wool and 1 suede men's coats, some silk ties and 4 sweaters (which I didn't end up using) shown here:
I had an idea that I wanted something "patch-work"looking in the style of this French Au Bonheur pattern (sadly no longer in business)
Though I didn't actually use this pattern I was inspired by the combination of vertical and diagonal lines.

First I threw all of the "thrifted" items in the washing machine and dryer, even the suede coat which came out looking much better!  I couldn't "cut" on any of the items until Nov. 1, the contest start date but at least they were clean.   When the start date arrived I began seam-ripping and cutting the coats apart, leaving the biggest flat pieces possible.  Wow, did I learn a lot about tailoring from these Italian made coats!

Then I cut out a large rectangle approximately the size I wanted the skirt to be in a lining fabric and began laying pieces on the lining.  

When I had the pieces sort of like I wanted I used fabric glue to secure them to the lining until I could sew them down.  I used strips of the ties to cover some of the seam lines.


   I PURPOSELY left the distinctive coat pieces such as buttons, pockets, leather elbow patch etc   I also  salvaged all the labels and put them in a prominent spot on a patch of the suede.                                                            

Here's  pic of the finished skirt
And another of me wearing it:
Now I need to figure out what to do with the felted wool sweaters I didn't use--any suggestions?

7 comments:

  1. Oh, this is fabulous. You always do such great things with refashioning. And I love how you used the lower front of the one jacket, complete with buttons and pocket. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I am a member of Pattern Review, but I find the site hard to navigate and I totally missed this challenge! As for the felted wool, there are a myriad of ways to use it from kitchen trivets to patchwork quilts (big squares serged together - easy!). Look forward to seeing what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, I saw this over on PR, and really liked how it turned out! I love how you kept all the interesting features of the jacket on your skirt. Lovely job. It's interesting to see what someone else came up with from a thrifted jacket! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful. artful. love. love. love.
    felted wool makes great bags, I think. or maybe an artful vest with the pieces over lapping. You'll come up with something creative, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect - I bet this is a very fun garment to wear! I love how you have used so many garments and given them a totally new lease of life!

    So far I have only unpicked my corduroy jeans . . . . I still need to cut them up and make a skirt. but there are DAYS left :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this skirt! You look marvelous in it, and so happy with your creation. About those sweaters->maybe felt them and make some slippers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at the things jill2day and monapaints sell on Etsy for ideas for the sweaters.

    ReplyDelete