Monday, April 18, 2011

Great Week of Sewing Talk

I have just had the most wonderful week of my sewing life!  I got together with 4 other sewer-bloggers and we took an amazing tour through all the fabric stores in Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington.  (all these bloggers have a much bigger following than I do so I'm sure if you've found mine you can figure out who they are!) They've done an excellent job of reporting on Fabric Mart, Jo-Mars, A Fabric Place (Michael's) and G St (all with pictures) so I won't go into that (but be assured I did my share of buying!)


So anyway, while I put all my new fabric away and think about what I want to do next, here is the last thing I made.   It was my entry into the "Julie's Picks Contest" that Fabric Mart sponsored. Unfortunately it really wasn't very well publicised since it was only open to customers who were members of the "Julie's Picks Monthly samples club"    The challenge was to use any of the fabrics ordered from the Jan or Feb mailers in your contest entry.  

I decided to attempt to use all the little samples in a trim on the Marcy Tilton top (vogue pattern 8671). The basic blue knit was of course ordered from the samples too and worked up very nicely.  I used techniques I learned in quilt sewing to put all the little samples together and then used these strips where plain ones were called for in the pattern.  
If you want to see the other contestants in the contest and vote (before April 29) you can go here http://www.facebook.com/fabricmartfabrics#!/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150550332635582.647413.277959930581    Vote by clicking on "like" for a particular picture.


4 comments:

  1. I love it! You inspire me to stop making safe (and unsatisfying) choices and just sew what I want to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, it was SO MUCH FUN to hang with you! I am bummed that I didn't get to see this top in person. (She had it at another location.) I think your clothes look even better in person than they do in pictures. I just love your innate creativity. It inspires me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a fantastic time and thank you soooooo much for inviting me to join you, Shams and Noile on the fabric buying orgy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article! Are there fabric stores in Philadelphia that do the same kind of weekly classes or anything?

    ReplyDelete