Friday, August 15, 2014
I am so anxious to do some fall sewing....was getting so tired of summer clothes that I put them all away and found this "transitional" brown linen that will be cool to wear but looks a little fall-ish. I chose this pattern, 1410, from the new batch from Vogue.
A very simple pattern, just a front and back, with the skirt cut in a huge bell shape. The directions say to turn in and stitch around the neck and arm openings but I made bias binding, which I think looks much better.
There are some small tucks on the front that really give the draped look that I like so much, though I did not make mine as deep as the pattern and also didn't add the tie and button which gives the design very sharp angles.
Sunday, August 3, 2014
I haven't been sewing much in the last months but have been working on a complex knitting project which I finally have finished and photographed. This dress was in the spring edition of Vogue Knitting and involved over 50 different sized pieces with different lace patterns on each of them.
Here are pictures of my progress and the original model from the pattern magazine:
I used free-form crochet to put the pieces together and fill out areas where I needed more lace.
I sewed a dress out of knit fabric to go underneathe and give the lace some much needed support.
The only fitting item I didn't take into account was the fact that most of the lace pieces are on the bias and it became quite long, thus the belt in some of the pics!
I am getting back in the sewing mood with the fall season approaching and will be back soon with some of the new Vogue patterns I want to make!
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
I was afraid that it would not be long or wide enough so made a mockup of the pattern pieces out of a knit fabric, tried it on and was able to see where I needed to add inches (done in knitting with short rows and gauge changes). I am SO glad I was able to SEW a version first to get a good fit!
It took me 2 weeks, working quite a few hours every day to finish it but I feel that it was well worth the effort and am looking forward to wearing it to the show.
Friday, November 29, 2013
I made Vogue coat pattern 8930 to go under it. This pattern worked great and is cut so the collar can be worn two different ways. It does not have any fastenings and I found that it actually stays overlapped in the front quite well without.
So here we have, in addition to the scarf, a crocheted hat, knitted fingerless mittens, and 2 pair of hand knit socks. The red and green socks are knitted using just one yarn---it is made to change colors so the knitter doesn't have to!
I will be changing planes tomorrow mid-morning in Chicago so shout out if you see me!
Monday, November 18, 2013
I made mine in a good quality polar tech and left the serged seams on the outside. I used some grommet and studs belting around the bottom and now am trying to decide how to close it. I would like to have something silver or black and industrial looking but that is as far as I have gone, and am hoping some of you readers can help me with ideas. Do I want to use buttons, pin(s), chains, ties ????
If you read Sham's Blog you might have noticed in her last post that she went to the Hardware Store for her next project and I can't wait to see what that looks like! I know she likes this vest and wonder if she is closing it with hardware??? Show, Shams, Show!
Anyway, here are some pictures of me wearing it different ways to help you picture what kind of closing I want:
Sunday, October 13, 2013
Monday, October 7, 2013
Fabric Mart entries with a "Little Black Dress" theme are due and there have already been some awesome ones put up on the different contestants' blogs. Can't wait to see them all either later today or tomorrow!
Though eliminated from the contest last week, I am continuing to sew and really enjoying it more without the time crunch (maybe I'm too old to take the stress!). In fact I am sewing up several different LBD's with fabric and patterns in my stash.
This is my version of Vogue 1359 which I call the "Knot" dress, because it actually has a knot tied with the 2 front skirt pieces after they are partially sewn to the bodice front. What a difference it makes in an otherwise pretty plain dress!
Luckily I had attempted a WAISTLINE in one of the other contest challenges so knew exactly how to alter the pattern so the KNOT would hit me at the waist and not on the ribs! The pattern instructions suggest you "adjust the fullness of the knot", which I followed with plenty to hand-tacking.
I had decided when I was chosen as a contestant that I would try to really "up" my sewing and finishing techniques in an attempt to make the inside look as finished as the outside. I am continuing to strive for this and added a full lining and Hong Kong seam finishes with China silk.